The Respiratory Therapy Department is under the direction of the Regional Director of Pharmacy and Respiratory Therapy.
|Western Memorial Regional Hospital
|Monday to Sunday
0800 - 2030 hours
2030 - 0800 hours
|To book appointment:
(709) 637-5000 Ext. 5298
(709) 637-5000 Ext. 6621
|Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital
|Monday to Friday
0800 - 1600 hours
(709) 643-5111 Extension 211
- Pulmonary Diagnostics
- Complete range of Pulmonary Function Tests to assist the physician in the diagnosis of lung disease, including pre and post Bronchodilator Spirometry, Lung Volumes by Helium Dilution, and Lung Diffusion.
- Bedside Spirometry and Peak Flow Monitoring.
- COPD Clinic
- Spriometry Clinic
- Doctor's Office clinics
- Other Diagnostics
- Arterial Blood Gas sampling by arterial puncture or Arterial Line sampling.
- Sleep Apnea testing and scoring, including CPAP trials, to assist the physician in the diagnosis of Sleep Apnea and nocturnal hypoxemia using Stardust multi-channel sleep monitoring system.
- Routine pulse oximetry for patient assessment.
- O2 assessment for home O2 requirements.
- Six minute walk testing for O2 needs during ambulation.
- Asthma Clinic
- Pulmonary Function Testing.
- Methacholine Challenge testing.
- Asthma teaching including disease process, inhaler teaching, asthma triggers and environmental controls.
- Oxygen therapy, aerosol therapy, Metered Dose Inhaler therapy, Incentive Spirometry.
- Administration of Pentamadine Aerosol therapy.
- Critical care
- Set-up and monitor of BiPAP and CPAP equipment on patients in the ER, ICU and hospital wards.
- Ventilator management in ICU, including set-up, monitor and make ventilator changes according to changing patient conditions and arterial blood gases.
- Ventilator maintenance including circuit changes and functional tests.
- Ventilator weaning of intubated patients at the earliest possible time.
- Endotracheal tube care including retaping and repositioning of tube.
- Tracheostomy tube care including tracheostomy tube changes, changing ties, and tracheostomy tube weaning.
- Endotracheal and tracheostomy tube instilling and suctioning.
- Apnea test for brain death protocol.
- Cardiac arrest team member mainly responsible for airway maintenance during code with ability to intubate adult patients at codes.
- In-house escort of intubated patients for various tests, i.e. diagnostic imaging.
- External patient transport of ventilated patients to other hospitals or institutions.
- Airway management of newborns at Caesarian sections complicated by fetal distress or mutliple births.
- Educational Services
- Student and nursing orientations to Respiratory Therapy services and the nurse's responsibility when the Respiratory Therapist is not on duty.
- Patient education for Asthma, Home Ventilation, Tracheostomy care.
- Interhospital education services regarding Respiratory Therapy procedures and equipment.
- Clinical placement for Nursing students, Licensed Practical Nursing students, Respiratory Therapy students and Advanced Care Paramedics.
- Technical Sevices
- Minor repairs of equipment such as flowmeters, suction regulators, etc.
- Routine functional tests of mechanical ventilators and other equipment such as Pulmonary Function machine, at regularly scheduled intervals as part of the ongoing preventative maintenance program.
- To provide quality health care to all patients.
- To provide patients with Respiratory Disease the education to help them understand their disease, to reduce the amount of time lost due to hospitalization and illness, and to improve their overall quality of life.
- To maintain all equipment to the standard required for safe, effective use.
- To use the most effective treatment and / or equipment while being conscious of the cost effectiveness. We will reduce waste by providing the best and safest solution for the patient which is also the most environmentally sound solution.
- To educate all hospital staff to the variety of services of Respiratory Therapy. To ensure that all staff have a complete understanding of the role and responsibilities of the Respiratory Therapist.
- To work as one with all hospital staff as an important and valued member of the health care team.