Improving Health: My Way
Chronic Disease Self Management Program
People living with chronic conditions (or long term health conditions) usually share similar challenges every day. The Improving Health: My Way Program consists of six group sessions which are designed to help individuals with chronic conditions manage their health, and maintain active and fulfilling lives, despite the challenges associated with their condition. Any adult living with a chronic health condition(s) is welcome to attend the sessions with a friend, family member or support person.
Please note that all in-person workshops have been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who is the program for?
Any adult who has a chronic (ongoing) health condition including among others:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Crohn's and Colitis
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Chronic Pain
- Heart Disease
- Lung Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Disorders
- Thyroid Disorder
Plus anyone who cares for/supports someone with a chronic condition also may attend.
What will I learn?
In the program, you will learn how to:
- Manage fatigue or tiredness
- Learn how to eat healthier
- Deal with frustration, depression, pain, or isolation
- Start to become more active and/or maintain an exercise program
- Develop problem solving skills
- Communicate with family, friends, health care providers
- Get more out of life
How much does the program cost?
It's free! People who take the course also receive a book called "Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions" at no cost.
When is the program?
People who take part will attend six group sessions that last 2.5 hours each. The sessions may be in the weekday/evening or on the weekend. Please call (709) 784-6689 for more details or email email@example.com. Please note that all in-person workshops have been suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Where will it be offered?
Improving Health: My Way workshops will be held in many communities in Western Newfoundland. Exact times and locations will be determined by the availability of workshop leaders and by the demand for the program. Please contact the coordinator at (709) 784-6689 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details about upcoming workshops in your area.
How do I register for the program?
Call the Self Management Coordinator at 784-6689, or speak with your primary health care provider and ask if they can refer you. You can also email email@example.com.
You can be a Workshop Leader!
We are looking for people with long term health conditions who are motivated to help themselves and want to assist others to learn how to manage their health conditions. Training is free, no prior teaching experience is necessary; you must attend four full days of training.
Want more information about the program or leaders training? Call us at 784-6689 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop brochure (English)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop brochure (French)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop poster (English)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop poster (French)
- Improving Health: My Way One-Pager (English)
- Improving Health: My Way One-Pager (French)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop Leader brochure (English)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop Leader Poster (English)