Short Stay Admission
Short Stay Admission is the admission of an individual to the facility for a pre-determined period of time. There are a number of different types of admissions under this service, all of which are designed to meet a specific need. A client and/or care provider may use this service more than once a year, with acceptance, depending upon need and bed availability. Types of admission include:
- Respite Care – This service is designed to provide relief to the caregiver. It allows for the readmission of a client for short periods of preplanned stay at regularly scheduled intervals. This service can also be utilized for those clients in the community in a short term crisis situation. These clients will return to their home environment upon discharge. Respite care is only offered to clients designated as requiring Level III or IV care.
- Convalescent Care – This service provides an environment within Long Term Care to allow a client to regain strength, endurance and improved functioning. The service can be considered for those clients in hospital who no longer require acute medical intervention but who are not ready for discharge. It is anticipated these clients will be able to return home or an alternate place of residence following the supportive care stay.
- Assessment Care – This service provides an opportunity to complete a functional assessment within an institutional environment. It is used to determine level of care and the need requirements of the client.
Who Can Apply
Referrals are accepted from any individual, family member or agency. All requests for this program will be considered individually with acceptance depending upon bed availability and the facility's capacity to meet anticipated needs. A continuing care assessment will be completed on all individuals requiring service, and all admissions to this service must be voluntary.
Length of Stay
Maximum length of stay is usually one month for respite while some of the other types of admissions may and often require a longer stay. A contract must be signed by the client family/care provider/or facility agreeing to the temporary stay and agreeing to take the client home on a designated date and time.
The cost of respite care services is $20 per day, with payment of medication, transportation and some supplies being the responsibility of the client/care provider. Convalescent care and assessment does not have a daily fee but, again, medication, transportation, and supplies are the responsibility of the client/care provider.
PhilosophyIt is our belief that:
- Individuals should remain in their community environment as long as possible so that greater independence and control over their lives may be obtained;
- The promotion of healthy lifestyles will enhance quality of living and prevent inappropriate admissions to health care facilities;
- Participants and their family members should be given the opportunity to participate in the process, whereby steps for attaining personal goals are established.
Any inquiries for this service can be answered by contacting:Social Work
Bay St. George Long Term Care Centre
P.O. Box 250
Stephenville Crossing, NL
Tel: (709) 646-5800 ext 265
Corner Brook Long Term Care
40 University Drive
Corner Brook, NL
Tel: (709) 637-5000 Ext: 3534
Dr. Charles L.Legrow Health Care Centre
P. O. Box 250
Port aux Basques, NL
Tel: (709) 695-4533
Bonne Bay Health Centre
P.O. Box 70
Norris Point, NL
Tel: (709) 458-2211 Ext: 233
Rufus Guinchard Health Centre
P.O. Box 40
Port Saunders, NL
Tel: 861-3139 Ext: 4217