Occupational Therapy - Community Based
We provide assessment and treatment for clients over the age of 18 with physical health impairments living in Western Region
What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational Therapy is a health profession, that works with clients to enable occupations. Occupations are the things people do to look after themselves and others (self-care) enjoy life (leisure) and contribute to their communities (productivity). Examples of everyday occupations could include cooking, dressing, taking a bath, reading, playing cards, volunteering at a non-profit organization, or going to work.
What services do Occupational Therapists provide?
An Occupational Therapist can visit you at home to help make your home safer and to increase/maintain your independence in everyday living. They can also help caregivers with their ability to help you.
An Occupational Therapist can help with:
- Teaching new ways to complete everyday activities.
- Suggesting equipment to make activities easier and safer (e.g. bathroom safety equipment, bed rails, etc.)
- Helping make home environments safer and accessible for wheelchair users or persons with other physical limitations (e.g. recommendations for wheelchair ramps, accessible bathrooms including curbless showers, etc.)
- Teaching exercises that help maintain or improve strength, flexibility and endurance.
- Giving advice about the best way to position someone in a bed/chair, etc.
- Prescribing a specialized wheelchair.
- Assisting with determining level of support required.
- Assisting with wound management
Who can refer?
- Clients can make self referrals.
- Caregivers can make referrals with the client’s consent.
- Other health professionals such as nurses, physicians, social workers, etc. can make client referrals.
Who do I contact?
To make a referral or to obtain additional information please contact your local Community Occupational Therapist:
169 West Valley Road
Bonne Bay Health Centre
Phone: 458-2211 ext. 249
Port aux Basques
Dr. Charles L. LeGrow Health Centre
149 Montana Drive, 2nd Floor