Patients accessing Day Surgery services receive care, education and discharge information on the day of their surgery. In some cases, Day Surgery patients will also access the Pre-Admission Clinic service prior to the day of surgery.
- Ensure that tests ordered are done no more than 28 days prior to your surgery. (Exception: when electrocardiogram (EKG/ECG) is ordered, no more than six (6) months prior to your surgery).
- Please arrange for a responsible adult to accompany you to Day Surgery and home because you will not be able to drive for at least 24 hours.
- An adult will need to stay with you for 24 hours after your surgery.
- Your surgery will be canceled if a ride home and an adult to stay with you is not arranged.
- Arrive at the hospital 2 hours before your surgery time to allow staff time enough to prepare you for surgery.
- When you arrive at the hospital, register at the Outpatient Registration Desk, then proceed (follow the blue dots) to the Day Surgery Unit on the 2nd floor of Western Memorial Hospital or the Day Surgery Unit at Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital.
In Preparation for Surgery
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about fasting. This is important in order to avoid cancellation of your procedure.
- Do not chew gum or suck on candy.
- Be careful not to swallow water when brushing your teeth.
- Ask your doctor whether or not you should take your prescribed medication on the day of surgery. If your surgeon tells you to take your medications, be sure to swallow as little water as possible.
- Have a bath or shower before coming to hospital. Clean skin helps prevent infection.
- Do not shave or clip hair from the area of your operation. Cuts and nicks can increase the risk of infection.
- Do not wear deodorant, powder or scented products. Family members/visitors should be aware that Western Health advocates a scent free environment for patients and staff.
- Remove all make up and nail polish/gel or artificial nails on fingers and toes so that your natural color can be seen during surgery.
- Remove all jewellery and leave it at home. Jewellery can increase the risk of injury and infection during surgery.
- Leave all valuables, money and credit cards at home as Western Health does not assume responsibility for lost or stolen goods.
- Bring storage cases for contact lens, glasses and hearing aids.
- Call your doctor if you have a cold or illness seven (7) days before your surgery.
Hours of Operation:
Monday to Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
2nd Floor, Western Memorial Regional Hospital
Main Floor, Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital
Western Memorial Regional Hospital, 709-637-5000, Ext 5146 or 5148
Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital 709-643-5111, Ext 431