Virtual ER to Support Physician Shortage At Rufus Guinchard Health Centre
Western Health is experiencing a temporary physician shortage at the Rufus Guinchard Health Centre in Port Saunders. On-site emergency services will be supported through a Virtual ER during the following times:
- March 21 at 3:00 p.m. to March 22 at 6:00 p.m.
- March 26 at 2:00 p.m. to March 26 at 7:00 p.m.
There will be a health care provider available to support patient care on-site and assist with virtual care. Residents requiring emergency services in the area during this time are advised to call 911 or proceed to Rufus Guinchard Health Centre.
In many respects, a Virtual ER operates the same as a traditional Emergency Room.
- A patient requiring emergency health services would present to the health centre.
- The patient will be seen and assessed by a Registered Nurse and/or Nurse Practitioner.
- The patient will be assessed by a physician virtually and managed with the support of the team on the ground.
- As required, patients would be transported to the most appropriate hospital to further manage their needs.
This model of care has been implemented in many regions of the province and in Canada to provide safe care for patients in need.
Western Health thanks the public for their understanding and patience as we continue to focus on providing safe and quality care for residents.