Adult Rehabilitation Program
The Adult Rehabilitation Program is located on the fifth floor of Western Memorial Regional Hospital in Corner Brook. The Unit consists of five (5) rooms with a total of eight (8) beds, a dining room/social area, nursing station, two therapy areas (Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy). The fifth floor can be accessed by the elevator located on the main floor. Conditions requiring Rehabilitation Services include:
- Neurological - e.g. stroke:
- Musculo-skeletal trauma - e.g. amputations and Motor Vehicle Accidents;
- Neuro-muscular - e.g. Multiple Sclerosis;
- Nervous system - e.g. Guillain-Barre Syndrome,
- Other medical conditions warranting rehabilitation.
The inter-disciplinary team consists of Nursing, Social Work, Social Assistance Worker, the Physiatrist, Physiotherapist, Physiotherapy Support Worker, Occupational Therapist, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Dietitian, and Speech-Language Pathologist. Prosthetic and Orthotic services are available on a consultative basis.
Rehabilitation is a goal-oriented dynamic process, which enables individuals with impairments, activity limitations, and/or participation restrictions to identify and reach the optimal physical, mental and/or social functional level. This is achieved through client-focused partnerships with families, providers and the community. Rehabilitation focuses on abilities and aims to facilitate independence and social integration. Rehabilitation addresses the biological, psychological and social needs of individuals and the social environmental contexts in which they live. The mandate of rehabilitation not only includes addressing the treatment of health care needs of patients and families but also empowering clients and families through the provision of information and education. A fundamental component of the rehabilitative process is the patient's ability to embrace his or her own role in recovery.
For more information, you can download our brochure.
For information about visiting a patient in the Adult Rehabilitation Unit, please click here.
Hours of Operation
The Adult Rehabilitation Unit operates 7 days a week, 24 hours daily.
Contact numbers are as follows:
- Manager - 709 637 5000 ext 6063
- Care Facilitator - 709 637 5000 ext 6703
- Physiatrist - 709 634 9255
- Nursing Unit - 709 637 5000 ext 5312
- Social Work - 709 637 5000 ext 5999
- Occupational Therapy - 709 637 5000 ext 5596
- Physiotherapy - 709 637 5000 ext 5644