Division Head - ICU
Job Type: Part Time - One (1) - Year Term Appointment
Internal or External: Internal
Post Date: 2017-03-09
Close Date: 2017-03-23
Job Category: Medical
Division Head - ICU
One (1) – Year Term Appointment
Applications are invited for the position of Division Head - ICU. The Division Head - ICU reports to the Chief of Discipline, Medicine and in their absence reports to the Chief of Staff, Western Memorial Regional Hospital. The Division Head - ICU is responsible for development, implementation and ongoing evaluation of an Independent ICU Program including:
- Developing Regional Standards of Practice for the Division
- Working with appropriate program directors and managers within Western Health
- Attending Discipline meetings as a representative of the Division
- Attending Local Medical Advisory Committee Meetings as a representative of the Division
- Attending Regional Medical Advisory Committee (RMAC) as a member of the Division only on request. Is not a regular member of RMAC.
- Providing program leadership for all members of the Division, including chairing Division meetings on a regular basis
- Providing supervision and support to all physicians in Division
- Developing Division specific performance metrics
- Supporting evaluation/monitoring of performance of members of the Division
- Supporting investigation of complaints relevant to the Division
- Supporting investigation of occurrences relevant to the Division
- Ensuring appropriate coverage is in place for their Division, including the development of call rotas.
- Supporting recruitment and retention of physicians within the Division, including participation in recruitment activities (interviews, reference checks, etc.) for positions assigned to them.
- Regularly communicating with the Chief of Discipline, Medicine regarding matters related to the Division.
The Division Head - ICU provides guidance and support to all medical staff working in the ICU through various mechanisms including consultation with the Chief of Discipline, Medicine and Division meetings. The Division Head - ICU is responsible for the management/supervision of ICU medical staff members, scheduling, and the development of Policies and Procedures.
The incumbent will work directly with various VP’s and Directors, Chiefs of Staff, Chiefs of Discipline, the VP and Regional Director of Medical Services in ensuring the effective organization, management and functioning of the medical staff within the Division. Accountabilities include Medical Administration, Quality Initiatives, Resource Management, Planning, Communication and Leadership.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Duly registered Specialist with The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada eligible, experience and knowledge of ICU clinical care, preferably with post-grad qualifications in health care administrative studies or significant administrative experience. Familiarity with Western Health Bylaws, Policies and Procedures pertaining to Medical Staff is required.
The successful applicant must have the ability to compile and analyse statistical information related to medical staff issues, possess excellent written and oral communication skills, and also have a proven track record within a regional health organization. A demonstrated track record with the use of quality assurance, risk and utilization management is desired. Strong organizational, financial management and decision-making skills are required.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the ability to work with people in all departments of this large organization and our member organizations, and must be able to communicate effectively with external organizations. A familiarization with computers and computer software including word processing, spread sheeting, and database applications in a business setting is required.
Salary Scale: TBA
Hours of Work: 1 half day biweekly
Interested applicants are invited to submit a resume, proof of qualifications, and the names of three employment references to:
Toni-lee Blanchard, Assistant to VP Medical Services
Medical Services Department
P.O. Box 2005
Corner Brook, NL, A2H 6J7
Fax: (709) 637-5063
Deadline for application is 4:30pm on March 23, 2017