Changes to Second Dose Appointments for COVID-19 Vaccine
Western Health is offering some individuals the opportunity to move up their COVID-19 second dose appointment to assist with the province’s re-opening plan.
Any individual who has a second dose appointment scheduled after July 15 will be eligible to reschedule their appointment to an earlier date. This will be a phased-in approach that will allow people to book a new appointment based on the date that they were immunized. This will start today, and notices will continue over the following weeks so that individuals will know when they are able to rebook their second dose appointment. This will continue until all individuals with second doses later than July 15 have the opportunity to reschedule.
The first phase of changes, which are effective immediately, are as follows:
· Individuals who received their first dose vaccine between April 2 and April 23 and were given second dose appointments between July 16 to August 6 are now eligible to change their second dose appointment to an earlier date. People can choose to keep their original appointment if they prefer.
· Anyone who has received a first dose of AstraZeneca or CoviShield between April 2 and April 23 and had second doses booked between July 16 and August 6 and would like to receive an mRNA vaccine for their second dose are eligible to book an earlier appointment for a Pfizer or Moderna clinic at one of Western Health’s vaccine clinics. There will be additional AstraZeneca clinics added to the schedule for anyone wishing to receive an earlier second dose of AstraZeneca or they can keep their current appointment.
· Individuals who received their first dose outside the province prior to and including April 23 are now eligible to book their second dose appointment.
· Rotational workers who are travelling for work before their scheduled second dose can rebook their second dose appointment. It is recommended they wait 8 weeks between doses if possible. Second dose must be a minimum of 28 days from first dose.
Anyone who received their vaccine from April 23 onward are not yet eligible to change their appointment at this time. Information about the next phase will be communicated once the clinic dates are finalized.
Individuals will need to know what type of vaccine they received for their first dose. This information is located on the After Care sheet you were provided at vaccine clinic when you received your first dose. For those who are unsure which vaccine they received, please call your local public health office.
If you are eligible and would like to change your second dose appointment, please follow the process below:
· click the following link or copy and paste the link into the address bar of an internet browser (Google Chrome is the preferred browser) https://portal.healthmyself.net/nlwesternhealth/forms/XEg and complete the eligibility questionnaire and consent
· select your preferred location and follow directions
· individuals experiencing difficultly booking their appointment online are advised to contact 1-833-703-5470 between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.
The public is reminded that they should not schedule an appointment for a vaccine if they are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19. Instead, complete a COVID-19 Assessment and referral by clicking here.
For more information on COVID-19 vaccines, please visit Health Canada. For up-to-date information on the COVID-19 pandemic, please visit www.gov.nl.ca/covid-19.