Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services Provides Update on Masking Requirements
May 17, 2023
In line with provincial guidelines, Newfoundland and Labrador Health Services advises the public of updates to masking requirements at health-care facilities across the province. In addition, the public is reminded that self-screening for COVID-19/respiratory illness remains in effect and anyone who is feeling unwell or sick should not visit clients/patients/residents.
- Masking is no longer required for clients, patients, residents, visitors/support persons upon entry and inside health-care facilities, pending they meet the self-screening requirements. Individuals who are symptomatic (i.e. experiencing any one or more symptoms of COVID-19 or respiratory symptoms) are required to wear a mask upon entry and while inside the health-care facility. Please note that visitors/support persons who are feeling unwell or sick should not visit patients/residents or accompany others to appointments.
- Masks continue to be available at health-care facilities across the province. Individuals who would like to continue to wear a mask are encouraged to do so.
- Individuals can wear their own medical mask or a mask provided at the health-care facility.
- Visitors/support persons who meet the screening requirements are also asked to consider the safety of those you are visiting. It can be especially important to wear a mask if you are around others who are at risk of more severe disease and outcomes, including those with chronic conditions, compromised immune systems and older adults.
Visitation and screening:
- Visitors/support persons are directed to not visit a health-care facility if they are experiencing COVID-19, flu-like or gastrointestinal symptoms.
- Visitors/support persons are directed to follow signage at health-care facilities and must meet the self-screening requirements before proceeding inside the health-care facility. In addition, visitors/support persons can complete self-screening prior to arrival at the facility by visiting the below webpages for their respective area/zone.
Western Zone (formerly Western Health)