Virtual ER to support Physician Shortage at Bonne Bay Health Centre and Rufus Guinchard Health Centre
Western Health is experiencing a temporary physician shortage at the Bonne Bay Health Centre and Rufus Guinchard Health Centre.
On-site emergency services will be supported through a Virtual ER at:
- Bonne Bay Health Centre
July 28 at 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
July 29 at 6 p.m. to July 31 at 10:30 p.m.
- Rufus Guinchard Health Centre
July 29 at 8 a.m. to July 30 at 6 p.m.
There will be a health care provider available to support patient care on-site and assist with virtual care. Residents requiring emergency services in the area during this time are advised to call 911 or proceed to the nearest health centre.
In many respects, a Virtual ER operates the same as a traditional Emergency Room.
- A patient requiring emergency health services would present to the health centre.
- The patient will be seen and assessed by a Registered Nurse and/or Nurse Practitioner.
- The patient will be assessed by a physician virtually and managed with the support of the team on the ground.
- As required, patients would be transported to Western Memorial Regional Hospital to further manage their needs.
This model of care has been implemented in many regions of the province and in Canada to provide safe care for patients in need.
Western Health thanks the public for their understanding and patience as we continue to focus on providing safe and quality care for residents.