Meals on Wheels
Meals on Wheels is the provision of a nourishing hot meal, delivered to the individual’s home. Depending upon the client receiving the service, the program can meet more than one of the following objectives.
- To supplement the dietary intake of the individual.
- To serve as a health teaching tool (i.e. measured portion sizes for calorie reduced diets, diabetic diet, etc.).
- To provide some social stimulation for the socially isolated client.
- To support the individual in their desire to remain in their community home for as long as possible.
Who Can Apply?
Referrals are accepted from any individual, family member or agency. Admission to the service is voluntary. An assessment will be completed on all individuals requesting the service.
How Long Will Service Be Provided?
A client may take advantage of the Meals on Wheels program as long as the need is demonstrated. We encourage independence with meal preparation, and, therefore, do not want to create a dependency on this program. A continued assessment of the client’s needs, through consultation with them and/or care providers, will assist us in determining the length of time an individual requires this service.
Volunteers deliver the one meal per day, Monday through Friday, directly to the individual’s home.
The cost if $5 per meal. If a client does not want a meal on a particular day, they must notify the Outreach Department before that delivery day or by 11:00 am on that morning; if not, the fee of $5 is charged.
It is our belief that:
- Individuals should remain in their community environment as long as possible, so as greater independence and control over their lives may be obtained.
- The promotion of healthy life styles will enhance quality of living and prevent inappropriate admissions to health care facilities.
- Participants and their family members should be given the opportunity to participate in the process, whereby steps for attaining personal goals are established.
Any inquiries for this service can be answered by contacting:
Congregate Housing Coordinator
Bay St. George Long Term Care Centre
P. O. Box 250
Stephenville Crossing, NL A0N 2C0
Tel: 646-5800, ext. 7246