Short Stay Admission
Short Stay Admission is the admission of an individual to the facility for a pre-determined period of time. There are a number of different types of admissions under this service, all of which are designed to meet a specific need. A client and/or care provider may use this service more than once a year, with acceptance, depending upon need and bed availability. Types of admission include:
- Respite Care - an admission designed to provide relief to the family and/or care provider.
- Slow Paced Rehabilitative Care or Convalescent Care - an admission to a facility designed for the individual who has suffered an episode of illness or injury for which they no longer require hospitalization (i.e.post stroke). Admission is also dependent upon assessment by rehab services, ensuring that the client has the potential to move beyond their present functioning level.
- Assessment - this admission is for the individual who requires a more thorough screening of their functional abilities, need requirements, and/or the type of care that they may require (i.e. Protective Care). This service provides an opportunity to complete an assessment within an institutional environment.
- Emergency Care - this service is designed for the client/family who finds themselves in a crisis situation and community supports have either broken down or are unavailable.
Who Can Apply
Referrals are accepted from any individual, family member or agency. All requests for this program will be considered individually with acceptance depending upon bed availability and the facility's capacity to meet anticipated needs. A continuing care assessment will be completed on all individuals requiring service, and all admissions to this service must be voluntary.
Length of Stay
Maximum length of stay is usually one month for respite while some of the other types of admissions may and often require a longer stay. A contract must be signed by the client family/care provider/or facility agreeing to the temporary stay and agreeing to take the client home on a designated date and time.
The cost of most of these services is $20 per day, with payment of medication, transportation and some supplies being the responsibility of the client/care provider. Slow Paced Care does not have a daily fee but, again, medication, transportation, and supplies are the responsibility of the client/care provider.
PhilosophyIt is our belief that:
- Individuals should remain in their community environment as long as possible so that greater independence and control over their lives may be obtained.
- The promotion of healthy lifestyles will enhance quality of living and prevent inappropriate admissions to health care facilities.
- Participants and their family members should be given the opportunity to participate in the process, whereby steps for attaining personal goals are established.
Any inquiries for this service can be answered by contacting:Social Work
Bay St. George Long Term Care Centre
P.O. Box 250
Stephenville Crossing, NL
Tel: (709) 646-5800 ext 265
Corner Brook Long Term Care
40 University Drive
Corner Brook, NL
Tel: (709) 637-5000 Ext: 3534
Dr. Charles L.Legrow Health Care Centre
P. O. Box 250
Port aux Basques, NL
Tel: (709) 695-4533
Social Work Bonne Bay Health Centre 709-458-2201 ext. 233
Social Work Rufus Guinchard Health Centre 709-861-3139 ext.217