Orthopedic Central Intake Clinic
Western Health implemented an Orthopedic Central Intake (OCI) Clinic in 2013 to help reduce hip and knee joint replacement surgery wait times. The program works with patients requiring possible elective total hip and/or knee replacement, as determined by their primary practitioner.
The clinics comprehensive approach to care is through a multidisciplinary team including a nurse, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, social worker, and clerk who collaborate in the delivery of the orthopedic surgical program. This clinic is located on the ground floor at Western Memorial Regional Hospital in Corner Brook, and services the entire western region.
Key elements of the program include:
- A standardized referral, intake and triage process
- Enhanced accessibility to orthopedic services
- Advanced preoperative assessment, education and self-management programs
- Postoperative follow up
- Consistency with patient care through the entire clinical pathway
- Improved communication to all invested parties
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
General Inquires, 637-5000 ext. 6744
Nurse (Project Lead), 637-5000 ext. 6723
Physiotherapist, 637-5000 ext. 6750
Occupational Therapist, 637-5000 ext. 6751
Social Work, 637-5000 ext. 5665