Improving Health: My Way
Chronic Disease Self Management Program
Would you like to become an Improving Health: My Way Leader and help community members who are living with chronic conditions to live a healthier life? Our next free leader training is scheduled for May 2016. For more information or to register email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (709) 637-5000 ext 6689.
Ongoing health problems (or chronic conditions) are health problems that you usually have for the rest of your life. People who have health problems share similar challenges every day. The Improving Health: My Way Program consists of group sessions which are designed to help individuals with chronic conditions manage their health, and maintain active and fulfilling lives, despite the challenges associated with their chronic disease. People who have chronic conditions(s) can attend the sessions with a family member, friend or a support person of their choice.
Who is the program for?
Any adult who has a chronic (ongoing) health condition including among others:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Crohn's and Colitis
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Chronic Pain
- Heart Disease
- Lung Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Neurological Disorders
- Thyroid Disorder
Plus anyone who cares for/supports someone with a chronic condition also may attend.
What will I learn?
In the program, you will learn how to:
- Manage fatigue or tiredness
- Learn how to eat healthier
- Deal with frustration, depression, pain, or isolation
- Start to become more active and/or maintain an exercise program
- Develop problem solving skills
- Communicate with family, friends, health care providers
- Get more out of life
How much does the program cost?
It's free! People who take the course also receive a book called "Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions" at no cost.
When is the program?
People who take part will attend six group sessions that last 2.5 hours each. The sessions may be in the weekday/evening or on the weekend. Please call (709) 637-5000 ext 6689 for more details or email email@example.com.
Where will it be offered?
Improving Health: My Way workshops will be held in many communities in Western Newfoundland. Exact times and locations will be determined by the availability of workshop leaders and by the demand for the program. Please contact the coordinator at (709) 637-5000 ext 6689 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details about upcoming workshops in your area.
How do I register for the program?
Call the Self Management Coordinator at 637-5000 extension 6689, or speak with your primary health care provider and ask if they can refer you. You can also email email@example.com.
You can be a Workshop Leader!
We are looking for people with long term health conditions who are motivated to help themselves and want to assist others to learn how to manage their health conditions. Training is free, no prior teaching experience is necessary; you must attend four full days of training.
Want more information about the program or leaders training? Call us at 637-5000 ext 6689 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop brochure (English)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop brochure (French)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop poster (English)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop poster (French)
- Improving Health: My Way One-Pager (English)
- Improving Health: My Way One-Pager (French)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop Leader brochure (English)
- Improving Health: My Way Workshop Leader Poster (English)